Categories

Login

Law & Judiciary >>>

My last donation to welfare organisation was 15 year ago

Workers for these fund collection companies enjoy luxurious lifestyle with easy money from good Samaritans.

I was cheated by a so-called old folk care center in Penang at about 15 year ago. They came to my apartment with all genuine documents to ask residents for donations. A Chinese man quickly issued a receipt for RM50 which was against my RM10 donation plea. They pursued me to make up RM50 which I agreed finally for such a welfare donation.

I had checked the address given by the workers in the next day, and found out no such office in the George town. Have stopped donating to any welfare organization since the incident.

The same scam is still happening now and their operation is growing to nationwide.

Another BN project for lack of enforcement in tackling this issue.

Even they are genuine and legal fund raising agents for welfare organizations, only 10% of your donations are channeled to welfare bodies and remaining 90% fund are ended up as lucrative commissions for agents

There are always good heart persons who think they are doing right thing by donating money to these fund collection agents and indirectly supporting their luxurious lifestyle.

黑心“義工”面子書炫富‧“錢多到用不完”‧財大氣粗揮霍無度

(雪蘭莪‧八打靈再也1日訊)“合法機構假籌款”的員工在社交網站高調炫富,過揮霍無度的生活,上載購買名牌包包、喝酒、抽雪茄、豪賭、跑車或休旅車大改裝的照片等,財大氣粗,令人咋舌。

根據觀察,這些青年的年齡介於20至35歲,其中一組人大部份來自新山。曾經從事此行業後離職的Z也曾透露,一般上,一名上線會找回自己的親戚或同鄉來增加下線的人數。

http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/252816?tid=1

The nkkhoo.com comment board with Facebook account.
hwlooi says:

Dear NK Khoo,

I agree with you that some of these Charity Organizations are not what they are supposed to be.
I can remember one medical charity where I was told by the manager of one of the drug companies that practically all the high paying jobs in the “charity” organization were members of the founder’s family !
The drug company was sponsoring this charity until they found out that only a tiny fraction of the money collected was in fact used to help the patients. Most of the money was used as “administrative” costs.
Since charities are not subjected to the stringent accounting practice that public companies are, they are open to a lot of malpractice.
There are, of course, some really good ethical ones around, but we have to be very careful before we make any donations.
Even some of the best known charities in the world which are doing a superb job, spend more than 50% of the money collected to administrative costs.
That’s why whenever I have any spare money to donate, I always donate direct and seldom through a third party.
Quote Charity Navigator:
10 Charities Overpaying their For-Profit Fundraisers
These 10 charities are not living up to their missions. Each spends more than 50% of its budget paying for-profit fundraising professionals to solicit your hard-earned money. They are ranked by the percentage of their total functional expenses spent on professional fundraising fees. As a result, very little of the charity’s spending is directed towards its programs and services.
Rank Charity Program Expenses Professional Fundraising Fees
1 Disabled Police Officers Counseling Center
4.4% 0.9457
2 Cancer Survivors’ Fund
9.1% 0.8759
3 The Committee for Missing Children
11.1% 0.8668
4 Firefighters Charitable Foundation
7.7% 0.8538
5 Operation Lookout
9.8% 0.8420
6 Wishing Well Foundation USA
8.5% 0.8085
7 National Vietnam Veterans Foundation
9.7% 0.7981
8 Children’s Charity Fund, Inc.
8.1% 0.7794
9 National Police Defense Foundation
17.3% 0.7723
10 Children’s Leukemia Research Association
23.8% 0.7307

California

“In 2007, commercial fundraisers collected a total of about $370.3 million in charitable contributions. The average distribution to charity from all campaigns conducted by commercial fundraisers in 2007 was 43.63 percent, an increase of 7.15% over the average reported in 2005.”
The above chart shows that even in the USA, only a small proportion of the money collected actually goes to charity.
Warmest regards,

Dato’ Dr Looi.