Categories

Login

Culture and Heritage >>>

Penang and Melaka may set the world record for quickest to be delisted from WHS

LGE, please stop your typical nonsense excuses in blaming BN former state government on your approval for fourth high-rise building after 12th GE.

Yes, by taking leave to visit your ancestor’s home in China is more important than meeting with UNESCO representative to seek out clarifications on the world heritage dossier.

I cross my fingers and wait to see we may achieve another world record of being delisted from the world heritage site in the shortest period of time.

Projects in heritage zone to proceed

by Regina William

GEORGE TOWN: The state government will not cancel the four projects which recently earned Penang a warning from Unesco for contravening the conditions of its listing as a World Heritage Site.

Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said that from the legal viewpoint, all four projects must be allowed to proceed since they had adhered to the guidelines set down by Unesco.

“It should be all four or nothing,” Lim told a press conference yesterday. “We have not made any decision to cancel these projects.

“Out of deference to Unesco, the state government will wait for word from Unesco on what modifications would have to be carried out, if any, and proceed from there,” said Lim.

Penang and Malacca were jointly listed as World Heritage Sites by Unesco on July 7 last year.

Lim said the projects are needed, especially now, to offset the economic recession and meet the need for more hotel rooms.

Read more >>> http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.jsp?id=com.tms.cms.article.Article_aad19958-cb73c03a-53897400-3adf685d