Categories

Login

Language >>>

Broken English in Bolehland :: Leptospirosis is caused by bacteria, not virus as reported by Bernama

Leptospirosis

Student Dies Due To Leptospirosis Infection

KOTA BAHARU, June 19 (Bernama) — A student of Maahad Tahfiz Darul Anuar, a religious school in Pulau Melaka, who went camping at Bukit Bakar in Machang last month, died yesterday due to Leptospirosis virus infection.

The 17-year-old student, Sheikh Mohd Alif Sheikh Mohd Fauzi, fell sick after returning from the camping programme and was admitted to Universiti Sains Malaysia Hospital (HUSM) in Kubang Kerian here last May 30.

His aunt, Nur Ilyana Che Mat, 33, said his nephew went for the camping, which was organised by the school, for a few days before the mid-year school holiday and then returned to his house in Paka, Terengganu.

“Mohd Alif returned to school after the school holidays, but did not attend the school activities and was found weak in his hostel dormitory by a teacher,” he told Bernama here today.

Nur Ilyana said it was the teacher who sent Mohd Alif to HUSM which initially suspected her nephew to be down with high fever, but after a thorough examination, found that he was infected with the Leptospirosis virus.

“Mohd Alif died about 9am yesterday and was buried at Kampung Gong Pasir, Dungun, Terengganu, the same day,” she added.

Meanwhile, HUSM director Datuk Dr Zaidon Kamari, in a short messaging service (SMS) to Bernama here today, confirmed that Mohd Alif died due to Leptospirosis virus infection.

— BERNAMA